Interactive technologies such as Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) are set to transform the ways in which people communicate, interact and share information. The XR industry is now at a stage where after years of research and development, it has reached a point where technology becomes accessible and allows market introduction.
However, the European XR scene is still fragmented.
In this context, XR4ALL is set to address 6 objectives which together will create a thriving European XR community:
- Unite the XR community to coordinate and foster collaboration among the members;
- Offer access to a common development platform to ease XR software components and applications development and sharing. This consists of a wide range of tools to ease the development of XR components using a methodology inspired by DevOps as well as an XR solutions Catalog where XR solutions developers can find or publish software components and applications developed by the XR developers community;
- Launch and manage an open call with 4 cut-off dates to increase XR innovation through funding of research teams to develop new XR solutions;
- Monitor trends, visions and developments to create a Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA) for interactive technologies;
- Boost the take-up of XR technologies through a technology transfer strategy and connections with investors; and
- Carry out efficient dissemination activities to pave the way towards sustainability of the project.
XR4ALL launches the current open call to attract, select and provide financial support to third parties (outstanding XR research teams, hi-tech startups and SMEs) to develop new XR solutions using the XR developers platform or building tools and components that can be integrated to extend the XR developers platform.
The financial support is divided in two phases with deliverables required at the end of each phase.
Phase 1 – Concept validation
Projects in this phase need to better define and validate their concept from a business and a technical prospective. The funding for this phase is 10,000 Euros as a lump sum. Only the projects who timely submitted the required deliverables and evaluated favourably will receive the corresponding funding.
Phase 2 – Development and integration
Projects in this phase will undertake to develop a working version of the proposed solution or component, a tested Minimum Viable Product. Further the developed solutions will be promoted on the XR solutions catalog. The funding for this phase is 40,000€ as a lump sum. Only the projects who timely submitted the required deliverables and evaluated favourably will receive the corresponding funding.
The total funding to be sub-granted by XR4ALL is 1.500.000 for a total of 50 projects in phase 1 receiving each a funding of 10.000 Euros and 25 projects in phase 2 receiving funding of 40.000 Euros. The maximum granted amount per project is 50,000 Euros.
The cut-off dates for the open call are:
- 31/10/2019 at 17:00 (Brussels time)
- 31/01/2020 at 17:00 (Brussels time)
- 30/04/2020 at 17:00 (Brussels time)
- 31/07/2020 at 17:00 (Brussels time)
The XRALL open call for applications will open in June, stay tuned for more details.